OpenPGP card issues

David Robertson djpeterrobertson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 22:13:45 CEST 2011

I posted this earlier:

>Hello,
>I've just bought myself a Gemplus/Gemalto GemPC twin USB smartcard
>reader and a V2.0 OpenPGP card. I'm running Debian Squeeze. I've set up
>udev rules as described here
>http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/smartcard-howto-single.html .
>However, when I insert my card and type gpg --card-status I get (gpg
>1.4.10)
>
>gpg: selecting openpgp failed: ec=6.108
>gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
>
>Using gpg2 (2.0.14), I get
>
>gpg: selecting openpgp failed: Card error
>gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Card error
>
>If i su into root, I get a different output for  gpg 1.4.10:
>
>gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: no service (0x8010001d)
>gpg: card reader not available
>gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error

I had it up and running since I posted this but yesterday it
spontaneously stopped working again.

I've since been emailing Martin Gollowitzer <gollo at fsfe.org> from this
list as he helped me get it to work in the first place, but he ran out
of ideas of how to fix it.

Anyway, some background info:
* The reader is a Gemalto/gemplus GemPC twin (USB)
* The card is an OpenPGP V2.0 bought from kernelconcepts
* I'm pretty sure I've got all of the udev stuff set up fine, No changes
were made to anything udev when it broke, and I tried removing the
relevant rules and adding them with Martin's script from here
http://download.fsfe.org/tools/cardreader/udev-howto-automatization.sh
* Now, the outputs of gpg --card-status and gpg2 --card-status are as
follows:
david at david-desktop-debian:~$ gpg2 --card-status
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: Card error
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Card error
david at david-desktop-debian:~$ gpg --card-status
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: ec=6.108
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
david at david-desktop-debian:~$
* And as root:
david at david-desktop-debian:/$ sudo su
[sudo] password for david:
root at david-desktop-debian:/# gpg --card-status
gpg: pcsc_establish_context failed: comm error (0x80100013)
gpg: card reader not available
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: general error
root at david-desktop-debian:/# gpg2 --card-status
can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file or directory
scdaemon[6852]: PC/SC OPEN failed: comm error
gpg: selecting openpgp failed: Card error
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Card error
root at david-desktop-debian:/# scdaemon[6852]: scdaemon (GnuPG) 2.0.14
stopped
* pcscd and gpg-agent are definatly running

Any ideas anyone?

--
Thanks,
David Robertson.