displaying decrypted plaintext on screen instead of output to file

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Thu Sep 8 22:42:27 CEST 2011

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:33:38 -0400 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
<dkg at fifthhorseman.net> wrote:

>Alternately, you could feed your data directly on stdin from the
>command
>line with a pipe, like this:
>
> printf "just a test" | gpg --encrypt --armor -r $recipient

Thanks!
worked perfectly.

$ printf "just a test" | gpg --encrypt --armor -r testkey
gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Cygwin)

hQEMA3MYof8tow73AQf/S2AzTh6+dtXW7Gj555s2JdPT2tLyzn7C2yyIGOi/YyiA
jvT5f2WKU4xBE4dZ9/R9vm5twbhz2wteKh6p4yVPbVcuYOj6cQoCS6OxzlHqe9cs
NZBB/3rmhOxUAKFdSFw7PxKnRxySyTex+CEkSy6k+wkjOIv+xoU896FHVrr7U2aS
LnHIkyuYmJAedgF/1u0behTwHbLPCcSHJ//GLrmyr/sr1uERmR3yhrbFBktqI7kD
AmCSYFCG6jAtoYdS9flFW6v1DwWifQcXyHrIr6lT/yZZrcIvsy18pUDAxk0bwN8n
Y0hh3CN7r+HeB/WwjhTwtcJZuh6/u4qaakcqeBlsL9JGAb7nQdGat0TZ8mjZEX3m
WvTSV/Z0StTNmJu1m824pqAX7ECAghve/4Wn1mElprJcwLOH+onbh+vAp57s+r1q
0p/Lu5DD0A==
=nDWv
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

>If you're not down with these patterns, i recommend getting
>comfortable
>with stdin and stdout.  The time spent will be repaid immensely if

>you
>plan to work with UNIX-like systems in the future.  I recommend
>reading
>up on the basics of the concept:
>
> http://www.linfo.org/standard_input.html
> http://www.linfo.org/standard_output.html
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Standard_streams
>
>and maybe also searching around on the 'net for some tutorials.
>Playing
>with pipes and redirection in your favorite shell is probably the
>best
>way to really internalize the concept, of course.

Thanks Again,

vedaal