Problem when decrypting PGP messages

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Wed Sep 14 21:29:59 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Bastien Auneau <ba at verisat.no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Every time I receive a message from a customer. I get :
> OpenPGP Security Info
>
> gpg command line and output:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\pub\gpg.exe
> gpg: invalid armor header: www.pgp.com\r\n
>
> gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
> gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped
> gpg: CRC error; 8C9731 - CA3995
> gpg: packet(3) with unknown version 41
>
> Also, the workaround I found is to forward the message to myself, removing :
>
> Version: PGP Desktop 10.1.2 (Build 9) - not licensed for commercial use:
> www.pgp.com
> Charset: utf-8
>
> which is just after
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>
> and just before the crypted message
>
> Is there a way to ingnore these 'headers' by default ?
> Thanks and regards
> Bastien

It looks like the "Version" header is too long and is wrapping onto a
2nd line.  The 2nd line is not a valid header, and is confusing gpg.
Most likely, this is caused by the email client on the sending side
wrapping the text.  (Although maybe some receiving clients re-wrap
text, I'm not aware of any.)

Can you provide information on the client(s) in use?

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com