Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Mon Sep 26 14:33:34 CEST 2011

Hi there!

Please Cc: me, I am not subscribed to the list.

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 11:27:54 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:04, roam at ringlet.net said:
>
>> Not necessarily.  I believe that this is just greylisting in action -
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting
>
> Right.

As I wrote in my previous email, greylisting is not the problem.

> However, post from non-subscribers need to be moderated. That may take a
> while.  We have a couple of volunteers who that job for many years now
> without most people noticing it.
>
> Many thanks to them.

I agree with the thanks, not with the fact that non-subscribers need to
be moderated (and greylisting is already a moderation), but it is your
project, so you decide ;-)

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:45:37 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:40, luca at pca.it said:
>
>> the log above.  The problem is that there is no sign of my email above,
>> not even the in-moderation notification.  I will try to re-send it...
>
> Sending such notification back to the spammers is not a good idea.  You
> either have to wait - or better - subscribe to the ML.

I do not see the point in not sending notifications:

1) I would be interested to know how many spam emails passes
   greylisting.

2) given the fact that there is no SMTP error message and no
   notification, there is no way for the sender to know what happened
   with her/his email, which is a bit unfair.

3) not having notifications also means that you can not cancel your
   email, which could result in duplicate posts.

Really, I do not have any problem with waiting (if I know that I have
to), but the above seems overcomplicated.