restoring SmartCard key with off-card copy

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 28 09:15:19 CEST 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:11, achim.cloer at cloer.de said:

> we are planing to deploy PGP in our team with Smartcards.

I assume you mean GnuPG, which has - like PGP - an implementaion of the
OpenPGP standard.

> During generating the keys, the pgp card is also generating a off-card
> copy. But we fail to import this backup into OpenPGP. The error

...into GPG ;-)

> message is "User-ID is missing". But the User-ID was given during

To restore a key you need to use gpg's edit-key command.  That requires
that you pass it a key-id or a user-id.  You should give the key-id
which was stored on the card.  Note that the public key as well as the
secret-key stub are not stored on the card.

The backup file only contains the parts of the key which will be stored
on the card.  After the --edit-key prompt is shown, enter the command
"bkuptocard" and follow the instructions.  If you don't have the public
key available, you may give any other key-id to enter the key-edit menu.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner