restoring SmartCard key with off-card copy

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Sep 28 16:54:57 CEST 2011

On 28/09/11 15:50, Werner Koch wrote:
> There is no feature for it.  You may use gpgsplit to manually construct
> a key from such a backup.  You need to take the keybinding signature etc
> from the matching public key.  I have not tried, it though.

I'm fairly sure I tried it and it worked. It's a while ago, so I won't
testify in court on that ;). Just export the "secret key" from GnuPG
(actually with the divert-to-card stub), gpgsplit it, and replace the stub
with that off-card backup.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt