How to check an exported key's fingerprint

MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org
Fri Apr 6 15:13:52 CEST 2012

Hello,

Using GnuPG 1.4.11 is there a way to check the fingerprint of a public key
before importing it to the keyring?  The key was exported using the
--armor option.  i.e., The file I have is named exported-key.asc

Also where would I find the instructions for this in the documentation?
(So I won't need to ask again.)  The documentation I've located is either
for GnuPG 2 or rather sketchy.

Thanks,
Michael