Changing the email address of a key

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Aug 29 08:49:40 CEST 2012

On 28/08/12 21:54, Richi Lists wrote:
> Will this also write also to the smart-card or are the changes only in
> the local keyring?

UIDs are not stored on the smartcard, so it does not matter.

> I'm a bit hesitant because the full disk encryption on my netbook works
> also with the same key, and I don't want to reinstall the whole thing.

Understandable. If I understand correctly, you used GnuPG to encrypt the file
that unlocks your netbook? In that case, the *uid commands should be safe,
because they do not influence decryption of files. To be on the safe side, keep
a copy of your key as it is now, and after you changed the e-mail address, try
to decrypt some file. If that works, it should also decrypt the file that
unlocks your netbook.

It is wise to keep a copy of your key as it is now around just in case, anyway.
If you do something wrong, you can take the backup and start over.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt