Web-based pinentry

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 30 17:11:05 CEST 2012

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:32, mike at silverorange.com said:

> Please let me know what I can use to handle pin-entry in a web-based system.

For exact that reasons (the original requester was building a student
webmail system), GnuPG has a feature to make this easy.  What you need
to do is to provide a script which acts as the pinentry and asks the
user for the passphrase.  To control that script you set the environment
variable PINENTY_USER_DATA to what ever value you need to control it.
The variable is then passed all the way from your application via gpg to
the pinentry.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner