Is it safe to rename file.gpg to `md5sum file`?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 6 09:24:59 CET 2012

On Wed,  5 Dec 2012 22:39, sben1783 at yahoo.de said:

> If I wanted to have a fallback for loosing the mapping table, would
> there be a sane way to encrypt the filename with gpg? That way I could

       --set-filename string

              Use string as the filename which is stored inside
              messages.  This overrides the default, which is to use the
              actual filename of the file being encrypted.

If you want later want gpg to output to this file, you may use

       --use-embedded-filename
       --no-use-embedded-filename

              Try to create a file with a name as embedded in the
              data. This can be a dangerous option as it allows to
              overwrite files. Defaults to no.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner