Same key on different smart cards

Richi Lists ricul77 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:43:53 CET 2012

Hi,

I want to have a second and third smart card as fallback.
For full disk encryption and ssh it would be ok to have different keys.
But as far as I understand, for eMail signing and decryption, it needs
to be the same key on all cards.
I set up two crypto sticks to contain the same sub keys. But the unique
id of the card seems to be stored in the private key stub
(~/.gnupg/secring.gpg). Thus if I try to use the second card, I get an
error telling me to insert the correct card.
Is it possible to manage the same identity with multiple smart cards?
Of course I could use a separate smart card with every computer and have
the stub match the card, but I want to be able to use whatever smart
card I have closest. And in case one breaks, just use the next one.
An what is the best approach for this?

Rgds
Richard