Privacy selection Was: ASCII armor plus

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Dec 29 20:03:30 CET 2012

On 12/29/2012 12:30 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Unless you want to mess up signatures, etc. Seriously, while "PGP
> inline" is not dead, it is only utilized by some very old MUAs. Modern
> MUAs handle "PGP Mime" just fine.

Modern MUAs, yes.  Modern MTAs, no.  The "mail servers play hob with
attachments" issue is very real.  I've personally seen it affect GMail,
Exchange and Mailman, along with half-a-dozen poorly-configured sendmail
and postfix installations.

I'm not telling people to not use PGP/MIME.  I am saying that PGP/MIME
is not as reliable as its proponents would like to believe.  My best
advice is that if you use PGP/MIME, be ready to fall back to inline traffic.