Reply-to netiquette (was [META] please start To: with gnupg-users at gnupg.org...)

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Feb 1 05:18:44 CET 2012

On 01/31/2012 16:17, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:26:05 -0800
> Doug Barton articulated:
>
>> On 01/31/2012 05:05, Jerry wrote:
>>> This is an "OPT-IN"list. Some lists, like FreeBSD are open, but not
>>> this one.
>>
>> I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make. Both this
>> list and all of the FreeBSD lists require you to subscribe. In fact
>> FreeBSD lists also use mailman.
>
> OK, I thought it was self evident; however, I guess I need to explain
> the difference more clearly.
>
> I am not sure what terms mailman uses, so I will use "open-posting"
> and "closed-posting" The meanings will become self evident.
>
> The basic FreeBSD forum

FYI, "forum" generally refers to something different than a mailing
list. I point this out mostly because http://forums.freebsd.org/ exists.

> is "open-posting". A poster need not be subscribed to the forum.

Actually many of the FreeBSD lists moderate posts from non-members, but
none of them outright block them. I realize that this isn't germane to
your main point, but I wouldn't want the wrong information to live
forever in the archives. :)

Doug

--

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.