GPG2 hangs the system if I activate another window

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Feb 7 15:31:58 CET 2012

On 07/02/12 11:11, gnupg at lists.grepular.com wrote:
>> When GPG2 opens a popup to ask for a password, I can't switch to
>> another window without locking up the desktop.  Neither the mouse
>> nor any key works anymore, not even the power button, and I have to
>> keep it pressed for 6 seconds to force power-off.
>
> I think this is by design.

Locking up seems a bit harsh :). Here, on XFCE with Debian testing, my desktop
definitely does not lock up. I can press some buttons with the mouse, but I
can't type any text in any other window than the password input dialog. But at
no point do I lose control, and once I dismiss the password dialog, I can
continue using my computer. This would be the "design" I expected :).

That said, if you want to pass the password from a password database
application, you probably indeed need --no-grab, and that might solve the
locking problem as a byproduct.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt