GPG2 hangs the system if I activate another window

Raffaele Ricciardi rfflrccrd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:23:06 CET 2012

On 02/09/2012 09:20 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
 > On Wed,  8 Feb 2012 23:15, rfflrccrd at gmail.com said:
 >
 >> It seems GPG2 on my system is running Seahorse, a Gnome front end
for GnuPG:

 >> GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/seahorse-PDdgFx/S.gpg-agent:2402:1
 >>

 > Seahorse and gnome-keyring are hijacking the gpg-agent connection.  It
 > is a source of constant frustration.  You can configure gnome-keyring
 > not to badly emulate some gpg-agent functions.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'd like to do without both Seahorse and gnome-keyring.  I don't need
them because
in my case passwords are managed by another application anyway.

I've tried replacing Seahorse with pinentry-gtk-2, which I've found on
my system, but currently I've managed to have just a pinentry-gtk-2
popup window flashing for
an instant and then GPG failing.  Here is what I've done:

- cleared the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable, which avoids my
application
running GPG2 with the --use-agent option;
- created ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf with this content:

use-agent

- following directions given here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GnuPG#gpg-agent

I've created a ~/bin/gpg-agent.sh (instead of a
/etc/profile.d/gpg-agent.sh) and
ran it, and checked that gpg-agent was running.  Then I've created a
~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with this content:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2

That's it.

Any suggestion?  Thanks.