decrypt-file updates trustdb?

David.Vazquez-Landa at ecb.int David.Vazquez-Landa at ecb.int
Tue Feb 21 12:48:15 CET 2012

Hello list,

I faced a problem lately and I didn’t know exactly what was going on…

I have a service, which calls gpg to decrypt files and I can’t move forward because I keep getting the following error:

“PGP decryption error - gpg: Signature made 02/06/12 14:08:19 using DSA key ID 23E858FE gpg: NOTE: trustdb not writable gpg: checking the trustdb gpg: public key 64A20A5A is 3219 seconds newer than the signature gpg: public key A1C13ADD is 153 seconds newer than the signature gpg: renaming `D:/GNU/GnuPG\pubring.gpg' to `D:/GNU/GnuPG\pubring.bak' failed: Permission denied gpg: failed to rebuild keyring cache: file rename error gpg: trustdb rec 247: write failed (n=-1): Bad file descriptor gpg: trustdb: sync failed: file write error”

This happens when trying the following command:

--homedir c:\GNU\GnuPG --passphrase password --no-tty --armor --yes --decrypt-files localFolder

Now, I could ignore the timestamp and I guess I would be able to open the trustdb and my service wouldn’t die. OR I could give write permissions on trustdb.gpg, pubring.gpg and pubring.bak to the user executing the service. But I wouldn’t want to do any of those without knowing why the command is trying to rebuild the keyring cache.

Best Regards,

David Vázquez

EDEN Team

European Central Bank

Tel. (+49) 69 1344 7029

Mail. david.vazquez-landa at ecb.europa.eu <mailto:david.vazquez-landa at ecb.europa.eu>

Any e-mail message from the European Central Bank (ECB) is sent in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by the ECB except where provided for in a written agreement. This e-mail is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either in whole or in part, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.