A usability gap in fingerprint rendering and parsing

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jan 6 11:17:54 CET 2012

On Fri,  6 Jan 2012 00:12, drfarina at acm.org said:

> Should that become the default?  What's the use of nibbles that cannot

No, --with-colons is not for humans.  OTOH, humans are not able to
properly read and compare 40 digits hex strings without the help of
delimiters like spaces.  Now, if you want to cut+paste things you need
to convert them
   gpg -er $(echo PASTE-HERE |tr -d ' ')
might be a solution.

> I also prefer to read the whitespace, but in that case --recipient can
> be taught to ignore whitespace when interpreting a stream of

We could make this work but you would need to enclose it in quotes.
What a bout a new option to display the fingerprint in a consensed
format.  For example --fpr instead of --with-fingerprint.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner