A usability gap in fingerprint rendering and parsing

Daniel Farina drfarina at acm.org
Fri Jan 6 23:44:04 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Jerome Baum <jerome at jeromebaum.com> wrote:
> Is this necessary for a technical reason? I'm just thinking about the
> scenario where transmits his human-readable fingerprint in a medium that
> collapses repeated spaces (think e.g. HTML).

If there's no security implication (it's hard for me to imagine, but
I'm not very imaginative) I think ignoring whitespace in the beginning
and middle of the string makes a lot of sense.  I could come up with a
couple of more fanciful suggestions (for example: requiring at least a
single space between nibbles to help users identify input that is
truncated by a byte or two in case of a fudged copy-paste), but
they're not nearly as large confusion-eliminators.

> But enough nit-picking, the "complaint to code" time was amazing! :)

I, too, am amazed!

--
fdr