Creating a key bearing no user ID

Holger holger at alternativefuse.com
Sun Jan 22 17:28:33 CET 2012

Hello list,

I intend to use gpg only for receiving encrypted e-mail, not signing my outgoing e-mail. Because I don't want my name or e-mail address out there on the keyservers, I want do create a key without a uid. People who want to send me e-mail, get my e-mail address and keyID/fingerprint with my business card.

Will this work or did I miss something?

When trying to create a key with an "empty" uid using '--allow-freeform-uid', I get
gpg: [internal]: no User-ID specified
Do I have to create a regular key first and strip off the uid afterwards?

Thanks a lot!
Holger