Using Root CAs as a Trusted 3rd Party

Kara karadenizi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:53:20 CET 2012

====

Reference:

	Subject: Re: Using root CAs as a trusted 3rd party
	Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 13:49:20 -0800
	From: Ken Hagler <khagler at orange-road.com>
	To: Aaron Toponce <aaron.toponce at gmail.com>
	CC: gnupg-users at gnupg.org

> On Jan 21, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>
>> What are your thoughts on using root CAs as a trusted 3rd party
>> for trusting that a key is owned by whom it claims? Of course,
>> this is merely for casual checking, but it seems to be "good
>> enough".
>
> As far as I can see the only checking CAs do before issuing a
> certificate is "does the credit card clear."

I believe you'll find that CAcert (www.cacert.org) is an exception *if*
you are relying on one of their x.509 certificates that includes the
individual's name since all CAcert certificates are free *and*

If the CAcert certificate includes the owner's name -- and if you're
willing to accept that CAcert assurance policies have been followed,
you can be confident that

	a.	The owner of the certificate has had a face-to-face
		 meeting with two or more CAcert assurers who
		have examined (and accepted as valid) Government
		issued photoID documentation provided by that
		individual.  Based on their assurance experience and
		their belief that the documents they have reviewed
		are valid, assurers can grant from 1 to 35 assurance
		points per individual.  An individual must have at
		least 50 such points on their CAcert account to be
		considered "trusted" by CAcert.

	b.	If an individual's name is included in their CAcert
		x.509 certificate *and* if that individual is also listed
		by location in CAcert's public list of assurers, you
		can be confident that the individual has had a face-
		to-face meeting with three or more CAcert
		assurers who have examined provided Government-
		issued photoID documentation and accepted them as
		valid as noted in subpara "a" above and that the
		individual has at least 100 assurance points on their
		CAcert account and has met all other CAcert assurer
		requirements.

	c.	Currently many operating systems do not automatically
		include the CAcert root certificates (for details see
		http://wiki.cacert.org/InclusionStatus) but they can be
		easily obtained from http://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3
		and manually added to your list of root certificates.

====

Just as a matter of information regarding members of the Gossamer
Spider Web of Trust (GSWoT) <www.gswot.org>: Among other requirements
a GSIntroducer (GSI) must meet is that they are either:

	d..	A CAcert assurer, or

	e.	Have an x.509 CAcert certificate that includes their
		name (indicating they've met with at least two
		CAcert assurers  -- see subpara "a" above) *and have*
		*also* had a face-to-face meeting with at least one GSI
		who has examined and accepted as valid the Government-
		issued photoID documentation they've provided, and has
		trust signed their PGP/GPG key with their GSI key or keys,
		or

	f.	Had a face-to-face meeting with three GSIs who have
		examined and accepted as valid the Government-
		issued photoID documentation they've provided, and
		has trust signed their PGP/GPG key with their GSI
		key or keys.

Only then -- again assuming all other GSWoT policy requirements have been
met and that it's been validated that they control the email addresses
associated with each of their key's userIDs -- are their PGP/GPG key
or keys userIDs GPG "sig!2         1" trust signed by the 8875BF7F GSWoT
"Signing Authority" key validating they are GSIs.

====

Ciao

Kara

Timestamp: Mon, 23 Jan 2012, 0553 Local (UTC -0500)

====
.