hashed user IDs redux [was: Re: Creating a key bearing no user ID]

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Fri Jan 27 15:20:23 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:29:07PM -0500, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 1/26/2012 6:41 PM, MFPA wrote:
> > The use of the word "harvesting" in this context suggests to me a
> > concern about spamming rather than about privacy.
>
> The use is correct.  Spamming is what someone does once they have your
> private information: harvesting is the act of collecting.

A difficulty here is that "spamming" is fairly specific, while
"privacy" (it seems to me) is huge, amorphous, and defined differently
by different people.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.