Enigmail and PGP/MIME

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 30 18:07:07 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:34, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> Fact two: it's easy to find MUAs, MTAs and other software in the chain
> that don't support (or outright break!) PGP/MIME.  Outlook is a good

Outlook has PGP/MIME support via a plugin.  Thunderbird has PGP/MIME
support via plugin.  Both are hampered by decisions of Microsoft and
Mozilla, not to help implementing proper MIME handlers.  In fact, back
in 2000 or so the then new Mozilla mail code had a nice structure and
easily allowed to hook in MIME handlers.  I wrote a basic PGP/MIME
implementation back then; someone else wrote a master theses and
enhanced my code to a complete implementation.  Mozilla refused the code
because they disliked OpenPGP.  Enigmail still encounteres the same
problem.

For the record, PGP/MIME is pretty old - older than (the free) Mozilla:

2015 MIME Security with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP). M. Elkins. October
     1996. (Format: TXT=14223 bytes) (Updated by RFC3156) (Status:
     PROPOSED STANDARD)

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner