PGP/MIME use

Tue Jan 31 20:25:44 CET 2012

Am Dienstag, 31. Januar 2012, 19:46:05 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:

> Enigmail isn't.  Assume we
> have 50,000 installations.  (This sounds like a lot, but it's a pale
> shadow compared to GnuPG installations.)

Do you mean "hidden" installations (used unnoticedly by a distribution's
update tool in the background) or actively planned instattations ("I need
GnuPG.")?

It is hard for me to believe that a serious user of GnuPG does not use it for
email. I use it at work for administration purposes (so without email) but for
most people I know it's the other way round: They use it for email only.

I admit that I do not use Thunderbird but is it's share among GnuPG users so
much smaller that among all users altogether?

> I now see no utility to them for the vast majority of uses.

But you admit that this depends on the current situation (described by: hardly
anyone uses it)?

I hope that the law will pledge big companies in the near future to sign their
emails and offer encryption at no additional cost. Then most normal users will
encounter cryptography regularly and thus the number of people who use it
should increase a lot.

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814