How to "activate" gpg.conf entries?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jul 11 17:51:32 CEST 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:11, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> I would suggest "SHA256 RIPEMD160", myself.  There are no known attacks
> on RIPEMD160, and if you're in a situation that requires the use of a

But only because RIPEMD160 does not get as much attention as SHA-1.  I
doubt that RIPEMD160 is in any way stronger than SHA-1.  Even European
authorities switched to SHA-1 a few years ago.  Another advantage of
SHA-1 and SHA-2 are the hardware accelerators available in modern CPUs.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner