How to "activate" gpg.conf entries?

Sam Smith smickson at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:57:29 CEST 2012

    For clearsigned messages, yes, for a message sent to someone else
    while using their public key,
> it will depend on the capabilities
    specified in their preference.

which command states this preference for when a message is sent to someone using their public key? the "default-preference-list" is for gen new key. Is it also used to tell others what preference I have for when they digitally sign a message that is intended for me? Or is there another command that specifies my preference for when they sign a message that is intended for me?