How to "activate" gpg.conf entries?

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Wed Jul 11 17:50:25 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-11 17:46, Sam Smith wrote:
> Thanks. The clearsign "test" worked.
>
> What does "cert-digest-algo" do? I read the description in the GnuPG
> manual and what you quoted, but I still don't understand. Could
> someone explain to me what cert-digest-algo does and how it differs
> from digest-algo when placed in gpg.conf?

Note that cert-digest-algo specify "when signing  a key", which is
different than signing a message.

> so "personal-digest-preferences SHA256" will specificy that SHA256 be
> used for digitally signing my messages, right?

For clearsigned messages, yes, for a message sent to someone else while
using their public key, it will depend on the capabilities specified in
their preference.

> and "default-preference-list" is only used for when user generates a
> new key, right?

right

--
----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/