cert-digest-algo clarification

Thu Jul 12 17:58:20 CEST 2012

Am Do 12.07.2012, 11:39:44 schrieb Sam Smith:
> It's overriding the recipient key preferences.

And sets the value for non-encrypted signatures.

> So "default-preference-list" is embedded into the public key

Into new keys. Existing keys need --edit-key 0x... setpref...

> to tell others
> your preferences. But if I set a string for "personal-digest-preferences"
> then this string will override the "default-preference-list" that the other
> user set in his public key?

Yes. Overrides the order (but cannot make missing elements available).

> Say I want to tell everyone, "Hey, I prefer you use SHA256 when
> communicating with me." What command should I use to communicate this?
> "default-preference-list" right?

As you wrote: This information is (or rather can be) embedded in a key. Either
by default-preference-list being defined at the creation time of the key or by
--edit-key setpref.

Have you read the documentation about --default-preference-list?

--default-preference-list string
Set the list of default preferences to string. This preference list is used
for new keys and becomes the default for "setpref" in the edit menu.

I don't find that unclear.

> So "personal-digest-preferences" overrides this?

The personal-digest-preferences setting in the configuration of *other* users
may override the setting you may have made in your key. Your personal-digest-
preferences setting is irrelevant for the signatures of others.

You should read the documentation for the commands showpref and setpref, try
them (in combination with --default-preference-list) and see what happens.

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814