why is SHA1 used? How do I get SHA256 to be used?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 12 16:16:58 CEST 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 22:55, nicholas.cole at gmail.com said:

> But one thing that might be helpful to explain is this: what needs to
> be in the V5 key format aside from the change in fingerprint hash?
> Aside from that issue, the V4 key format seems to have been resilient.
>  What are the other issues that need to be addressed?

We need to check the WG archives for a list.  What I can remember are:

- A new fingerprint scheme

- A hard (non-changeable) expiration time

- A different way to express timestamps (Y2038 annoyance and the hard
  Y2106 problem).  An 8601 timestamp string should do.

- Get rid of the old and optional protection schemes or even switch to a
  modern standard one.

There are related things we need to change for signatures packets.  It
might also be a good time to replace PKCS#1.5,

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner