cert-digest-algo clarification

Thu Jul 12 18:39:19 CEST 2012

Am Do 12.07.2012, 12:11:11 schrieb Sam Smith:
> The "setpref" and "showpref" commands appear to only relate to what is
> stipulated with the "default-preference-list".

"Appear"? Is that what the documentation says? Do you prefer telling us your
guesses over reading the neccessary information?

> Setpref just resorts back to the "default" settings if
> "default-preference-list" is not given.

This is true only if setpref is called without arguments.

> So if one sets
> "default-preference-list" it's not necessary to set
> "personal-digest-preferences", right?

Do you read what we tell you? How does this question fit to my statement
(which you even quote)?

The personal-digest-preferences setting in the configuration of other users
may override the setting you may have made in your key. Your personal-digest-
preferences setting is irrelevant for the signatures of others.

Stop trying to understand it from reading, you obvously have problems with
that. Take two keys, give them different preferences, make encrypted
signatures with different settings of personal-digest-preferences and have a
look at the results.

> I mean how are
> "personal-digest-preferences" even seen by others if SETPREF does not embed
> them in the key?

As you have been told several times by several people (let alone the clear
documentation): personal-digest-preferences is not to be seen by others.

--personal-digest-preferences is used with
	--sign --encrypt
	affecting a single signature
	affecting what your software does

--default-preference-list is used with
	--gen-key
	--edit-key setpref
	affecting the preference lists in a key
	affecting what another person's software does

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814