asymmetry of 'adduid' and 'deluid'

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Jul 24 16:08:10 CEST 2012

On 07/24/2012 09:58 AM, vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
> Recently added a uid and deleted a uid to one of my keys.
>
> Found that to add a uid, gnupg asks for the passphrase, but to
> delete a uid, it does not.
>
> (Doesn't really matter much, since the secret key is required for
> both,
> but was curious if there is any underlying reason why gnupg does it
> this way.)

possession of the secret key is not required for deluid, actually.

look at it this way:

deluid is just an edit of your local keyring -- it removes a handful of
packets (note that if the key is already on the public keyservers or
someone else has a copy, they will still have the user ID that you deleted).

adduid, on the other hand, requires the creation of a new cryptographic
signature: the self-sig made by the primary key over the user ID.  To
create this self-sig, gpg needs access to the secret key material for
the associated primary key.

make sense?

hth,

	--dkg