Mac OS X 10.8 and OpenPGP Cards

Kevin Kammer Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net
Sun Jul 29 23:06:49 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 08:45:51PM +0200 Also sprach Richard Höchenberger:
> On 27/7/2012 20:12, Kevin Kammer wrote:
> > It has been so long since I had to mess with it (on my mac anyway) that
> > I don't remember.  Which libraries do you mean?
>
> I never had to install any additional libraries, at least not until
> 10.7.4. Don't know about ML though :)

My recollection is that I have never had to either, and Gemalto's own
site indicates that, at least through 10.7 (they don't have any
information posted on 10.8 yet), OS X has built-in support for their
card readers.

However, all this talk of libraries would seem to be barking up the
wrong tree.  I don't really think it is a lack of libraries or drivers
that is the problem.  I have noted that the card works somewhat under
certain circumstances.  Most notably, GnuPG 1.x appears to be able to
access the card.  Problems crop up with GnuPG 2, gpgme, and gpg-agent.

I don't see how any application would be able to access the card at all
if the libraries/drivers were not in place.