Using Smartcards without it's public key

Todd A. Jacobs codegnome.consulting+gnupg.org at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 00:15:54 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> My usually advise is to put an URL to the public key into the URL field
> and then use the fetch sub command of the --card-edit menu to retrieve
> the key.

Should it be necessary to use the card-edit menu? I tried something
similar, realized I needed the public key, but didn't get any success
importing the public key from the command-line and then trying to use the
card: I still get a kind of key not found error (I don't have the exact
error in front of me at the moment).

So, it seems like the key needs to be fetched from card-edit in order to
create the right smartcard stubs. Is that right?