invalid gpg key revocation

auto15963931 at hushmail.com auto15963931 at hushmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:36:07 CET 2012

Okay, there are a lot of responses, and I need to get to the bottom
of this as quickly as possible, but I also want to do so
methodically.  Let me respond to the points raised as best I can
until this is resolved.

I agree that user error is a possibility, but I am not certain how
to prove it. I can reproduce another public key just like the one
that was revoked except using a different name. I can use the same
program, same method and same machine, and I can post it to an
email here just as I posted it to the other site I mentioned. This
way you can see the result plainly. At least we can determine
whether the key is getting made correctly.

I have to reiterate, but not eliminate the posibility, that someone
having access to this machine is extremely unlikely.  This machine
is not in a public place or workplace. It is at my home, and I do
not have any guest accessing it. My family members would not, and
could not do this anyway. It is fully encrypted and well protected.
 I have a good deal of anti-malware and firewall protection.
Impossible, no; improbable, highly so.

However, only
> the holder of the secret key can generate such a signature.  In
other
> words, if you really never made a revocation (many howto documents
> recommend making one and saving it when you generate your key),
and the
> revocation you found on your key is genuine (if gpg confirms it is
> revoked), then I recommend you check if someone has access to
your secret
> key.
>
> You can examine the revocation certificate with:
>
>  gpg --export (your key id) | gpg --list-packets

Looking at this instruction, I think you assume that I have
imported the revoked key onto my keyring. I have not done so.  On
my keyring is the valid key, which is not revoked.  The revoked key
appears to be on a keyserver.  When I do a search and view the
result online, I can see my key ID number and user ID plainly
identifying this key as having now been revoked.  I have not
imported it. The really wierd part is that I never publicly put it
on a server myself. I guess someone else did that as part of this
malice after I put it on a website for importing.  I am reluctant
to import the bad one because it might mess up the good one. So, I
am not sure how to look at the certificate with your command, which
appears to require that I export it. Does it not?

> The piece you are interested in will look like this.  It's
usually the
> second packet in an exported key:
>
> :signature packet: algo 1, keyid 7296AD3DA736CEC5
> 	version 4, created 1330970459, md5len 0, sigclass 0x20
> 	digest algo 2, begin of digest 74 51
> 	hashed subpkt 2 len 4 (sig created 2012-03-05)
> 	hashed subpkt 29 len 10 (revocation reason 0x01 (foobar))
> 	subpkt 16 len 8 (issuer key ID 7296AD3DA736CEC5)
> 	data: [2047 bits]
>
> Note the sigclass is "0x20", which is the revocation class.  The
keyid
> would be that of your key (or it's a revocation for someone else,
and is
> not relevant to your key).  "Created" is the epoch timestamp of
when the
> revocation was supposedly generated, echoed in "sig created".  The
> "revocation reason" is the reason given when generating the
revocation:

> 0 == no reason given
> 1 == revoked because the key was compromised
> 2 == revoked because the key was superseded by another key
> 3 == revoked because the key is no longer used
>
> The string in parenthesis is a human readable note given by the
revoker.

> Anyway, that's what can be looked at, but - and this is important
-
> virtually all of those fields are settable to whatever the
revoker wants to
> set them to, so you can't trust them.  For example, they could
set their
> clock to whatever date they wanted and make the revocation from
that date.
> They could give any revocation reason they like, or no reason.
They can
> put whatever they want to in the string.  What they can't do
(modulo
> serious crypto failure and/or bugs) is generate a revocation
without access
> to the secret key.

I have generated the key on my main PC, which, as far as I know,
and I am no slouch when it comes to security (and, no problem, :) I
do not think you suggested I am). My machine is well protected with
firewall and antimalware.  It is always, separated from internet,
no; as this email indicates. I do not make documents on one
machine, save it to CD and move media to another machine for using
on internet.  Frankly, if I had to do that, I would consider
moving. :)  If my machine has been compromised in any way, I need
to ascertain that much and fix it. Still, I find this possibility
extremely unlikely in all honesty.

This key has been generated by a well know software, whose name I
will withhold at this point until I appear to have eliminated the
issue of user error. If I am to blame, I do not want to brandish
someone else's name unfairly.  Nevertheless, I am perfectly willing
to use a different software to try to reproduce another key, and I
am perfectly willing and capable of using the CLI of gnupg if need
be; in this way I can be sure that the program itself is not
responsible.

> > If they had, I have to believe that there would have been more
damage
> > done than this,
>
> It is hard to make good assumptions about the motivation and aims
of
> unknown people. You don't even know whether the one got access to
your
> private key by planned action or rather incidentally.
>
> Even if it was planned the motivation may have been to show you
your limits
> (or the other one's superiority), not to cause damage (=becoming
really
> criminal).

Granted that motivations are difficult to ascertain, but this is no
small event. I have created a key in a manner that I believe is
secure. If it can be revoked, what else can be done with it? I need
to figure out what happened and prevent it. If I am to blame, I
need to fix my mistake so that it does not happen again. This is
borderline to identity theft.

> > What can be looked at on the revoked key to see how or under
what
> > circumstances it was revoked?
>
> I do not know whether there is any data in such a revocation
signature that
> differs from system to system. Even the timestamp can easily be
faked.