[admin] Re: Please help! (Alastair Langwell)

Alastair Langwell sonofbelial at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:12:56 CET 2012

As per Werner's email below, please find the issue pasted out below:

Hi,
I'm using Seamonkey on Lubuntu 11.10.

Basically, any time I try to decrypt an email from Enigmail (Seamonkey
2.4.1/Enigmail 1.3.3/GnuPG 1.4.11) I get the following error:

Error - secret key needed to decrypt message; click on 'Details'
button for more information

So I do this and get:

OpenPGP Security Info

Error - secret key needed to decrypt message

gpg command line and output:
/usr/bin/gpg
gpg: failed to create temporary file
`/home/alastair/.gnupg/.#lk0x81ebb50.localhost.4251': Permission denied
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/alastair/.gnupg/secring.gpg': general error
gpg: failed to create temporary file
`/home/alastair/.gnupg/.#lk0x81eca60.localhost.4251': Permission denied
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/alastair/.gnupg/pubring.gpg': general error
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 2260F69E
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID B25CD7DF
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

The output of:

ls -dl ~/.gnupg/*

# ls -dl ~/.gnupg/*
- -rw------- 1 root root   9398 2012-03-06 05:18
/home/alastair/.gnupg/gpg.conf
- -rw------- 1 root root 470993 2012-03-06 19:59
/home/alastair/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
- -rw------- 1 root root 470993 2012-03-06 19:20
/home/alastair/.gnupg/pubring.gpg~
- -rw------- 1 root root  10079 2012-03-06 19:00
/home/alastair/.gnupg/secring.gpg
- -rw------- 1 root root   1760 2012-03-06 19:59
/home/alastair/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg

Also:

# ls -dl ~/.gnupg/
drw------- 2 root root 4096 2012-03-06 19:59 /home/alastair/.gnupg/

I have also tried:

# chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg
# chown alastair:alastair ~/.gnupg/*
# chmod 700 ~/.gnupg/*

None of those have worked.

Enigmail debug tells me that things are working properly... Can anyone
help?

Oh, I'm running a torified system using Tor and Polipo. I'm not sure
if that is significant - I doubt it.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help, it's a big problem for me!

Many thanks in advance or your attention,

Alastair

P.S. I know this is signed just fine - I'm on another PC ;)