Proper revocation

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Mar 7 21:16:25 CET 2012

On 03/07/2012 04:15 AM, kwadronaut wrote:
> I noticed that some tools (i.e. Enigmail) don't give you the option to
> specify a revocation reason. I haven't uploaded my revoked key as of yet,
> so how should I edit it to specify a reason?

If your frontend doesn't give you a feature you want, you could use gpg
from the command line to create a new revocation certificate with the
features you're looking for.

If gpg doesn't want to let you create a new revocation certificate
(probably because you've already imported an old one), you could try
deleting the old revocation certificate from your local keyring (delsig
from --edit-key, i think), saving, and trying again.

"editing" a revocation certificate doesn't make much sense, since if you
modify the certificate, you'll invalidate the signature.  Better to
think of it as discarding an existing revocation certificate and
creating a new one.

	--dkg