Why the "--export-secret-key" switch is not listed in help screen?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon May 7 10:30:30 CEST 2012

On Sun,  6 May 2012 20:15, peter at digitalbrains.com said:

> I suppose it was thought that exporting a private key was such a
> relatively "rarely used" command it did not need to be among the most

It is also possible that I did not list it with --help so that the user
is required to read the full blurb:

     --export-secret-keys
     --export-secret-subkeys

              Same as --export, but exports the secret keys instead.
              This is normally not very useful and a security risk.  The
              second form of the command has the special property to
              render the secret part of the primary key useless; this is
              a GNU extension to OpenPGP and other implementations can
              not be expected to successfully import such a key.

              See the option --simple-sk-checksum if you want to import
              such an exported key with an older OpenPGP implementation.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner