GPG 1.4.x, 2.x, ECC, and portability

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 22 11:15:20 CEST 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:50, avi.wiki at gmail.com said:

> them temporarily each time if necessary. Allowing an option to have
> the home and other helper directories configured as a subfolder of the
> install directory on the install should be helpful as well.  What I

I agree.  We could do this.  If a file "gnupg-enable-standalone" exists
in the same directory as the gpg binary, we set the GNUPGHOME directory to
a subdirectory (e.g. "home") and all other directories also to a
subdirectory (iirc, we only need an "etc").

On a USB stick this might look like this

  /        # Binaries etc.

  + home/  # pubring, trustdb etc.  (This is NEW).
  |     |
  |     + private-keys-v1.d/  # Secret X.509 keys
  |                           # and (for v2.1) secret OpenPGP keys

  + pub/   # Stuff you may put into your PATH

  + etc/   # Dirmngr configuration

  + lib/   # Stuff required by GnuPG etc.

If the file "gnupg-enable-standalone"  is not in the root directory,
everything behaves as before.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner