Some people say longer keys are silly. I think they should be supported by gpg.

Christoph Anton Mitterer christoph.anton.mitterer at physik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue May 22 15:39:04 CEST 2012

Hi.

This pops up over and over again...

>From a technical point of view that seems to be not only a intended
limitation,... at least it's not enough to change the max size in the
code,... there seem to be several buffers one would need to enlarge in
order to make bigger keys.

Personally I'd prefer if gpg wouldn't have that limitation.

I know all the arguments against larger keys.... which is why I'd
suggest to enable larger sizes only when --expert is given and even then
warn.

Most people will get quickly distracted from large key sizes anyway when
they see how long their generation takes ;)

Nevertheless I guess it could even help to find awkward bugs or other
issues that may not appear with the "moderate" key sizes.

Cheers,
Chris.