Some people say longer keys are silly. I think they should be supported by gpg.

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue May 22 20:00:18 CEST 2012

On 22/05/12 18:23, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 of May 2012 13:34:20 david at gbenet.com wrote:
>>
>> On 22/05/12 09:58, tim.kachao at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I think it should be okay to dredge up this topic ever couple years. From what I am
>>> reading, links below,  I do not feel comfortable with the key length and
>>> algorithmic security offered by GPG's defaults.
>>>
>>> I have not been able to figure out how to get keylengths greater than 3072 for
>>> DSA/elgmal or >4094 rsa, so I conclude that generating them is unsupported by GPG
>>> although GPG can use them.  I have seen many people saying that these types of key
>>> lengths are way more than anyone could reasonably need, but I am skeptical.
>>>
>>> I am involved in a local Occupy (bet you thought occupy was kaput eh? well as it
>>> were known it is but that's another story) and frankly we aren't just up against
>>> one intelligence agency, but all intel agencies put together.  An entire global
>>> class of people.  You can argue that they may be uninterested in me, however I
>>> don't buy that argument at all because they have spent (possibly a lot) more than a
>>> thousand dollars at least on me personally at this point I am sure in policing
>>> costs to try to survielle and intimidate me, after you divide down.
>>>
>>> The eviction alone at my occupy cost (probably greatly) in excess of
>>>
>>> $16,000 to arrest 8 people, and involved almost 200 cops for 4 hours. There are
>>> also estimates made that in the US 1 in 6 "protestors" is actually a government
>>> agent of one sort or another, dept of defense, homeland security, fbi what have
>>> you.  And that exludes any thugs the bankers put in the crowd as privately hired
>>> types.
>>>
>>> Secondly I want my communications to remain unread into the relatively distant
>>> future.  Given the sort of crap the 1% do wrt murdering and maiming vast quantites
>>> of people for a couple extra bucks I would not be the least bit surprised if 20
>>> years from now they "dissapeared" me because I passed our some pamphlets that said
>>> "end class war now".
>>>
>>> An enemy is an enemy, and enemies must be smooshed, right?  Why take risks> like
>>> letting an innocent person live if they might concievable scratch your gravy train
>>> at some point in the future? Abductions and bullets aren't that expensive once you
>>> got everything all set up, it's a good investement.
>>>

>>> I'm 23 now and I take various modest precautions to ensure that I have the best
>>> chance I can to remain in good health when I am 43. Or 63.  A couple hundred extra
>>> milliseconds of decryption/encryption time per message for a key longer than 3072
>>> or 4092 sounds like a good choice frankly.  Is that not what we are looking at?
>>>
>>> And yes I recognize that it would be a lot easier for them to plant spyware on my
>>> computers than break the keys, however they can't plant spyware on everone's
>>> computer. without people noticing  They do slurp up and probably store indefinitely
> [...]

Ah I missed out the foil hat - the invisibility cloak and the light absorbing paint - oh
well - I noticed that no one was in any kind of paranoid rush to send encrypted e-mails :)

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com