getting an encrypted file to show what public key was used

Tue May 29 22:02:35 CEST 2012

Am Di 29.05.2012, 21:29:51 schrieb Werner Koch:

> I have said this at least a hundred times, but it is still not known
> well enough.

You probably mean: "Among the readers of this list." How much known may it be
in the wild...?

> Would an option --annotate which enables
> --with-colons, --batch, and --status-fd be helpful?

I don't think so because giving --with-colons, --batch, and --status-fd is not
the problem. Making this easier should not have a big effect on the problem.

The problem is knowledge (and discipline). So the aim should be to spread the
knowledge. This could be done by printing a warning to stderr when stdin and
stdout are not terminals and these options are not given:

"You are probably running gpg non-interactively. In order not to break scripts
it is strongly encouraged to use scripted output of gpg only with the options
--with-colons, --batch and --status-fd. See http://www.gnupg.org/..."

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814