GnuPG 2 + OpenPGP card on F17

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 31 03:50:51 CEST 2012

After more wrestling with this, I'm still no closer to a solution than I
was this morning.  I was able to recreate Nguyễn's difficulties with an
Ubuntu 12.04LTS/64-bit system, though, so we can confirm that one's got
problems and it's not simple user error on his part.  Or, rather, if it
is then I'm making the exact same errors, so...

I don't know what the root cause of the problem is yet.  I don't want
anyone to misread this as "GnuPG 2 sucks," because that's *not at all
what I'm saying*.  But it does appear that GnuPG 2 has serious problems
with smartcards when running under Ubuntu 12.04LTS or Fedora 17.

Maybe we should get the Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu GnuPG package
maintainers in on this discussion?  Perhaps they don't have smart cards
with which to test their packages.  If so, I would be happy to buy them
smart cards and readers for testing purposes.  This is important
functionality and right now it just doesn't appear to reliably work.