[ANN] Hockeypuck: OpenPGP Keyserver

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Tue Nov 6 22:38:21 CET 2012

Casey Marshall wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 11:12 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>>> Cool, i'm glad to hear of it.  Does this sync with any of the
>>> existing SKS network?  I saw no mention of peer synchronization
>>> in the README or the project page.
>>>
>>> --dkg
>

>> Indeed interesting to hear of new keyserver implementations, and
>> having a less homogeneous system should only be beneficial to the
>> overall security.
>
>> Re SKS sync, this seems to be filed as a RFE/bug already at [0].
>> Does it currently sync through the old PKS system / email?

> Not yet, but soon. PKS syncing is an easier stop-gap measure while I
> study set reconciliation.

You'll probably need PKS-style email syncing even after you've setup your own
set recon algorithm to sync with the SKS servers. SKS sends and receives
PKS-style email updates. It's pretty simple, you send/receive armored
keyblocks of changes and merge the changes you receive into your database.
Unfortunately a number of SKS server operators have, IMNSHO, misconfigured
their servers and turned this off.

The pksd code should give you a good guide on how to implement email
exchanges. I'd do the receiving/updating part first -- then we can start
sending your server updates.

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/pks/pks/0.9.6/pks-0.9.6.tar.gz

>> Another RFE seems to be RFC6637 support - as the keyserver at the
>> moment seems unable to accept my key [1]. In addition, if you want
>> the keyserver to be included in the pool[2] I'd request a
>> /pks/lookup?op=stats implementation similar to SKS (and indeed
>> GnuKS[3], that is implemented with a Software: header)

Probably ought to move this thread over to the sks-devel list where it's more
on-topic.

-John

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net