ownertrust level of imported secret keys

Fri Nov 9 19:33:10 CET 2012

Hello,

I noticed a behaviour which could be improved. If a key is generated then its
ownertrust is set to ultimate. But if a secret key is imported the ownertrust
keeps unchanged.

I guess that the idea behind this may be that you can be sure that noone else
can create a signature by a key you have generated but that the import of a
secret key can mean that someone else has shared his secret key with you which
does not make signatures of that key more trustworthy.

As I think that people should be advised to use offline mainkeys so they
should not be bothered with unnecessary problems arising from that. Thus I
suggest to output a warning / hint if a secret key is imported. Something
like:

"You have imported a secret key. It may be useful (probably if you are the
only owner of this secret key) to set the trust level of this key to ultimate
(see --edit key trust)."

Or even ask and do it.

Hauke
--
☺
PGP: 7D82 FB9F D25A 2CE4 5241 6C37 BF4B 8EEF 1A57 1DF5 (seit 2012-11-04)