GPG W32 1.0.6-2 - PRIVATE KEY IMPORT ISSUE

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Nov 29 10:16:51 CET 2012

> I downloaded GPG W32 1.0.6-2 on a Windows machine.
> I started gpg from the command line and It created C:\gnupg.
> I have GPG running on another windows machine (I think is version 1.0.4) so I
> tried to import my keys.

I'm confused by the version numbers you indicate. They sound like they're
prehistoric, unsupported and simply too old to use.

> import:
> gpg --allow-secret-key-import "secdretkey.txt"

It should be:

gpg --allow-secret-key-import --import "secretkey.txt"

You are allowing secret key import, but not actually importing. You're invoking
the default action, which for keys is displaying them, not importing them. So
you need to specify that the wanted action is --import.

Good luck,

Peter.