what is killing PKI?

Landon Hurley ljrhurley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 03:12:09 CEST 2012

On 10/04/2012 07:22 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 10/4/2012 7:05 PM, MFPA wrote:
>> Searching is not an insurmountable problem
>
> Problems do not have to be insurmountable to have serious effects on
> regular users.
>
> John Clizbe maintains a 10Mb archive of every message that's ever been
> posted to the Enigmail mailing list.  This comprises tens of thousands
> of messages.  If each message is encrypted individually, then searching
> through that archive could easily take on the order of a minute or more.
>  That's simply unacceptable.
>
> There are, of course, ways to mitigate this.  As near as I can tell
> they're all just as bad.  For instance, you could say that each time you
> receive an encrypted message, you could add it to the existing archive
> with the same key.  Depending on which mode you use, though, this could
> result in encrypting the 10mb archive for each and every new message
> that comes in.  That's something you really want to avoid.  You could
> try to get around that by using more exotic cipher modes (e.g., consider
> each message's position in the archive to be an index, and use the index
> to set a cipher running in Galois-CTR mode or somesuch), but the more
> complicated the scheme becomes the more fragile it becomes.
>
>> How is spam any more of a problem in a scenario where all messages are
>> encrypted?
>
> It becomes completely impossible to do enterprise-level spam filtering.
>  If I send you email in plaintext, your ISP can check that email against
> its spam detection engine and, if my message gets flagged as spam, it
> can be automatically redirected to a spam folder.  If I send you email
> in ciphertext, your ISP can't do that.

Won't the overhead from running gpg or equivalent limit the amount of
spam that will occur afterward anyway? The whole reason that spam works
and is profitable is in the agreggate of millions of messages. If I
introduce a .5 second latency, that undermines the whole economic
incentive, because I can no longer send messages quickly enough. Or am I
overestimating the time it takes to run a single message through
1024-bit RSA with SHA1?

//landon