Limit of maximum password length

jv at dodec.lt jv at dodec.lt
Sat Oct 27 05:40:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm not sure why, but there is a password length limit on 1.x version
(even in the latest release), not sure why ?

An example situation:

--gen-key
<..set everything.. including any length password..>

For testing I got password which is longer than 1024 chars. Now when
trying to encrypt something I have to enter my password from secret key,
so I put it into curses dialog window and afterwards I get this:
pinentry-curses: Assuan processing failed: write error
gpg-agent[25237]: command get_passphrase failed: Too much data for IPC layer
gpg: problem with the agent: Too much data for IPC layer
Can't edit this key: General error

why ? So such long key is useless and impossible to change password,
because current password is too long.

Any solutions/workarounds?

Thanks,