gpg.exe Command Line - check if file is already encrypted

Jeff Michelson jeffmic at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:15:00 CEST 2012

I'm using the following command line:

C:\"Program Files (x86)"\GNU\GnuPG\pub\gpg.exe --batch -v -r "MyEVU" -o
"c:\users\anonymoose\desktop\test.pdf.gpg" -e
"c:\users\anonymoose\desktop\test.pdf"

That command encrypts the files correctly and the new test.pdf.gpg file is
created successfully.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the gpg.exe to check if the file is
encrypted.  In my example above, the obvious answer is that the new
test.pdf.gpg is encrypted.  However, I'm also going to be given a set of
files that won't have the gpg extension, and I won't know if they are
already encrypted.

I do not have whatever is necessary to un-encrypt the files encrypted by
that MyEVU key, and I don't care if the file was encrypted using that key or
not.  I only need to know if the file is encrypted at all so that I don't
double encrypt it.

Is there a command line option/syntax that would just return information
telling me the file is already encrypted?

Much appreciated, y'all.

--Jeff