A PC user unfamiliar with any free software would like to send me messages that only we can read. Now what do I do?]

Ryan Sawhill ryan at b19.org
Fri Apr 5 08:02:05 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Don Saklad <dsaklad at gnu.org> wrote:

> A PC user unfamiliar with any free software would like to send messages
> that only the two of us can read. Now what do I do? The numbers of steps
> for it appear to be insurmountable! And I've failed to understand GNUPG
> myself.

Unfamiliar with *any* free software? That does pose a problem, especially
if neither of you are willing to try to learn. There are countless GPG
tutorials and blog posts out there, not to mention this list's archives.

The simplest thing I could think of would be something like this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/quick-encrypt/ceoomdobfpkpdilfooakcmklkkolppcb

It's an extension for Google Chrome (which is free software though, so
perhaps this "PC user" is not familiar with it?) that does basic symmetric
encryption with no special setup. Personally, I can't imagine using it
myself unless I was on a Windows box with no time to install & configure
GPG, but I do know people who use it (people who found GPG too
intimidating).

PS: I can't vouch for the quality of the encryption (I haven't looked at
the implementation) or the general safety of it (I don't know if it
performs the encryption locally or if it sends it to a server).