The Lord of the Keys

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Apr 8 18:45:49 CEST 2013

On 04/08/2013 12:14 PM, Kevin wrote:

> Forgive me if this answer seems too simplistic--perhaps I am missing
> something--but would it be possible to make your SSH authentication keys
> subkeys of the same master/signing key?  Then, when you unlock the
> master key, all the sub-keys should unlock with it (with one password).

that's not guaranteed, i'm afraid.  each key (the primary key and each
subkey) is locked with its own passphrase.  in common practice, gpg
keeps those passphrases synchronized across a given primary key and its
subkeys, but it has to deal with the possibility that the subkeys have
different passphrases than the primary key.

	--dkg