gpgme fails encrypting on 64bit debian

Simone Pagan Griso simone.pagangriso at
Wed Apr 10 10:54:21 CEST 2013

 I'm facing a problem which is giving me a bit of troubles to trace with
gpgme. I've reproduced it with a simple test program (starting from another
simple example I found) which I paste below. This works on a 32-bit
debian-based system but fails on 64-bit one. In particular in the 64-bit
case I can successfully read and decrypt (not shown in the example) but I
get a rather cryptic error in the encryption:

$ ./test2 C37DBF71 Ciao!
Protocol name: OpenPGP
file=/usr/bin/gpg, home=(null)
Error in encrypting data. Error 1: General error (Unspecified source)

The version of libgpgme is shown above as well. GnuPG version 1.4.11
This is the output of uname, just to show you I'm running on 64 bit system:

$ uname -a
Linux spagan-laptop 3.2.0-39-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 28 00:28:53 UTC
2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yes, the first thing I've done was to extensively trying to make sure I was
defining _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64; also I checked that off_t has effectively
size of 8. This is how I compile it:

gcc -m64 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g test2.c -lgpgme
-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lgpg-error -o test2

and finally below there's the test program I used.

Thanks a lot for any help you could give me! I haven't found anything much
useful around yet to help me debug this.. (including a rough search in this
mailing list archives).
Please let me know if you need additional info!


//---- test program
#include <stdio.h>   /* printf            */
#include <unistd.h>  /* write             */
#include <errno.h>   /* errno             */
#include <locale.h>  /* locale support    */
#include <string.h>  /* string support    */
#include <stdlib.h>  /* memory management */

#define SIZE 1024

int main(int argc, char **argv)
  if (argc < 2) {
    printf("ERROR. Usage: %s key message\n", argv[0]);
    return -1;

  char *m_key = argv[1];
  char *pSource = argv[2];
  char *pDest = malloc(65536);

  char *p;
  char buf[SIZE];
  size_t read_bytes;
  int tmp;
  gpgme_ctx_t ceofcontext;
  gpgme_error_t err;
  gpgme_data_t data;

  gpgme_engine_info_t enginfo;

  /* The function `gpgme_check_version' must be called before any other
   * function in the library, because it initializes the thread support
   * subsystem in GPGME. (from the info page) */
  setlocale (LC_ALL, "");
  p = (char *) gpgme_check_version(NULL);
  /* set locale, because tests do also */
  gpgme_set_locale(NULL, LC_CTYPE, setlocale (LC_CTYPE, NULL));

  /* check for OpenPGP support */
  err = gpgme_engine_check_version(GPGME_PROTOCOL_OpenPGP);
  if(err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) return 1;

  p = (char *) gpgme_get_protocol_name(GPGME_PROTOCOL_OpenPGP);
  printf("Protocol name: %s\n",p);

  /* get engine information */
  err = gpgme_get_engine_info(&enginfo);
  if(err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) return 2;
  printf("file=%s, home=%s\n",enginfo->file_name,enginfo->home_dir);

  /* create our own context */
  err = gpgme_new(&ceofcontext);
  if(err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) return 3;

  /* set protocol to use in our context */
  err = gpgme_set_protocol(ceofcontext,GPGME_PROTOCOL_OpenPGP);
  if(err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) return 4;

  /* set engine info in our context; I changed it for ceof like this:

   err = gpgme_ctx_set_engine_info (ceofcontext, GPGME_PROTOCOL_OpenPGP,

           but I'll use standard values for this example: */

  err = gpgme_ctx_set_engine_info (ceofcontext, GPGME_PROTOCOL_OpenPGP,
  if(err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) return 5;

  /* do ascii armor data, so output is readable in console */
  gpgme_set_armor(ceofcontext, 1);

  gpgme_data_t source;
  gpgme_data_t dest;

  //get key to encrypt, get the first key
  gpgme_key_t key[2];
  err = gpgme_op_keylist_start(ceofcontext, m_key, 0);
  err = gpgme_op_keylist_next (ceofcontext, key);
  if (err) {
    printf("Key not found in current key-ring: %s\n", m_key);
    return 1;
  key[1] = 0; //set to NULL the second entry

  //point to source buffer
  err = gpgme_data_new_from_mem(&source, pSource, strlen(pSource), 0);
  if (err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) {
    printf("Error in reading data to encrypt. Error %d: %s (%s)\n",
       gpgme_err_code(err), gpgme_strerror(err), gpgme_strsource(err));
    return 2;

  //create dest buffer
  err = gpgme_data_new(&dest);
  if (err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) {
    printf("Error in creating output data buffer to encrypt. Error %d: %s
       gpgme_err_code(err), gpgme_strerror(err), gpgme_strsource(err));
    return 3;

  //encrypt text
  gpgme_encrypt_flags_t flags;
  flags = GPGME_ENCRYPT_NO_ENCRYPT_TO; //only specified recipient, no
defaults please
  err = gpgme_op_encrypt(ceofcontext, key, flags, source, dest);
  if (err != GPG_ERR_NO_ERROR) {
    printf("Error in encrypting data. Error %d: %s (%s)\n",
       gpgme_err_code(err), gpgme_strerror(err), gpgme_strsource(err));
    return 4;

  //retrieve result
  printf("Result: \n%s\n", pDest);

  //release key and buffers

  /* free context */

  return 0;
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: </pipermail/attachments/20130410/16f7b2d3/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Gnupg-users mailing list